Manual wheelchairs have come a long way. Innovative designs and easy-to-use features mean that today’s wheelchair user will have better long-term mobility with fewer repairs. Still, ongoing maintenance is important, and every wheelchair user should know the basics.
Here are some of the dos and don’ts for maintaining your manual wheelchair:
- Know the basics. At a minimum, write down the make and model of the wheelchair that you’re using and where you purchased it. Keeping a record of the manufacturer or distributor will be helpful if you need to schedule a repair or have a warranty claim.
- Keep your owner’s manual on hand in case you have questions or want to try your hand at simple do-it-yourself maintenance. It’s a solid resource.
- Keep your wheelchair clean. A damp cloth is all that’s needed to remove day-to-day dust and dirt. For bigger cleaning jobs, a mild detergent should do the trick.
- Ignore obvious problems. Cracks in the metal framing or frayed seat fabric are clear indications that your manual wheelchair needs attention. Don’t wait to have your wheelchair serviced. Schedule a repair as soon as you see a problem.
- Let things get loose. Over time, the nuts and bolts on your wheelchair can loosen, which puts you at risk. Check them periodically, and use a simple wrench to tighten any that need an adjustment.
- Forget the silicone spray. All-purpose silicone spray is a great way to keep wheels turning smoothly and quietly. You can use it on any of your wheelchair’s other moving parts, as well.
At Mar-J Medical Supply, our team of experts has more than 20 years of experience in the home medical equipment field. Let us work with you to find the solution that’s right for you. Come see us at our Boca Raton location or contact us anytime, day or night, through our website. We look forward to serving you.
Manual wheelchair image via Shutterstock