When a family member needs intensive home care, you might find yourself looking for a hospital bed. A hospital bed has features that provide comfort for your family member and make caring for him easier. To operate a hospital bed safely in your home, follow these tips:
- Wheels should be locked at all times, except when the bed must be moved.
- A telephone or a bell should be placed within reach of your family member so that he can reach you if necessary.
- Side rails on the bed should be up to prevent falls when your family member is not being moved or cared for.
- Do not smoke or use matches or candles in or near the bed.
- Read and follow all manufacturer instructions and/or the owner’s manual.
- If your family member is ambulatory, keep a night light on to prevent falls.
- Get a strong, sturdy footstool to help your family member get out of and into the bed.
- Position the bed controls nearby so your family member can adjust the bed position as needed. Practice using the controller, along with your family member. Make sure the casing is intact.
- Be sure that the bed and the area around it are clean at all times.
- Remove your family member if you smell smoke, or the bed is making a strange noise. Contact a professional for repair and inspection.
Questions about adjustable hospital beds? Talk to the professionals at Mar-J Medical Supply. We’re happy to help. Visit our website for details, or just give us a call.